Jevon Louis specialises in intellectual property (IP) law, technology and data privacy. He is well-suited for this area of practice as he is technically qualified with a degree in mechanical engineering, a registered Singapore patent attorney, and an advocate and solicitor of the Singapore Supreme Court.
Jevon’s experience extends to both contentious and non-contentious IP, technology and data matters spanning across multiple industries including, pharmaceuticals, renewable energy, manufacturing, construction, logistics and semiconductors.
Jevon represents clients in court proceedings as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings and has extensive experience in IP enforcement disputes, technology disputes, and data breach and compliance matters. On the non-contentious side, Jevon oversees the firm’s IP filing and registration practice, advises on IP and technology transactions, including providing IP strategy, related business intelligence, audits, and advice on data management, sharing and compliance.
The practice also provides support to start-ups in the digital economy through the preparation of IP registrability, infringement and validity opinions, performing patent prior art and freedom to operate searches, and drafting of licensing, distributorship or franchising agreements, as well as various other technology-related agreements.
Jevon is a member of the Association of Singapore Patent Attorneys (ASPA), Asian Patent Attorney Association (APAA), International Trademark Association (INTA), Institute of Singapore Trade Mark Agents (ISTMA) and Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES). He also speaks at seminars, particularly on topics relating to intellectual property, technology and data privacy matters, and is a tutor for the Intellectual Property Practice module under Part B of the Singapore Bar Course.
- AME2 Pte Ltd v Singapore Aquaculture Technologies (SAT) Pte Ltd (HC/OC 107/2022) in a claim concerning alleged patent infringement and breach of confidence in the offshore aquaculture industry of Singapore;
- Novartis AG and Novartis (Singapore) Pte Ltd v DKSH Singapore Pte Ltd (HC/S 206/2022) in a case concerning an application under Regulation 23 and 24, Health Products (Therapeutic Products) Act in respect of alleged patent infringement;
- Nippon Shinyaku Co., Ltd. v Registrar of Patents  SGHC 164 where the High Court of Singapore considered for the first time the test to be applied for a correction to the specification of a patent application;
- VentureCap Insights Pte Ltd v Stephen Andre Jacob (HC/OS 994/2021) in a case for pre-action discovery and pre-action interrogatories against the Defendant in respect of potential contractual breaches and copyright infringement;
- Siemens Industry Software Inc (formerly known as Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc) v Inzign Pte Ltd  SGHC 50 defending against claims of primary copyright infringement, vicarious liability, and damages (including additional damages);
- Align Technology Inc., v Zenyum Pte Ltd (HC/S 212/2021) in a case concerning claims of trade mark infringement, defamation, and malicious falsehood in the clear aligner industry of Singapore;
- Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Johnson & Johnson Pte Ltd v Fresenius Kabi (Singapore) Pte Ltd (HC/S 936/2021) in a case concerning an application under Regulation 23 and 24, Health Products (Therapeutic Products) Act in respect of alleged patent infringement;
- F. Hoffmann – La Roche AG, Genetech Inc., and Roche Singapore Pte Ltd v Novartis (Singapore) Pte Ltd (HC/s 718/2020) in a case concerning an application under Regulation 23 and 24, Health Products (Therapeutic Products) Act in respect of patent infringement by biosimilars;
- Represented a listed Singapore biotechnology company in 2020 in arbitration proceedings before the HKIAC against a prominent Japanese medical diagnostics company in relation to a dispute over the ownership and use of intellectual property following a joint research and development agreement;
- Genentech Inc., v. Amgen Biotechnology Singapore Pte Ltd (HC/S 1089/2019) in a case concerning an application under Regulation 23, Health Products (Therapeutic Products) Act in respect of patent infringement by biosimilars;
- Sunseap Group Pte Ltd and Others v Sun Electric Pte Ltd  SGCA 4 where the Court of Appeal was required to determine the extent to which the High Court could exercise its jurisdiction in a claim for patent revocation;
- Burberry Limited and another v Megastar Shipping Pte Ltd  SGCA 01 concerning a claim for trademark infringement involving the transhipment of counterfeit goods through Singapore before the Court of Appeal;
- Honey New Zealand (International) Limited v S&N International Pte Ltd (HC/S 157/2018) in a case concerning an application for a preliminary injunction and claims of passing off and joint tortfeasorship;
- Cicada Cube Pte Ltd v National University Hospital (Singapore) Pte Ltd  SGCA 5, a landmark case in Singapore that dealt with a dispute over ownership of a patent between parties to a joint research and collaboration agreement;
- Nanofilm Technology International Pte Ltd v Semivac International Pte Ltd & 2 Ors  SGHC 167 in a case concerning a breach of confidence and copyright infringement by ex-employees;
- Louis Vuitton Malletier v Megastar Shipping Pte Ltd and other suits  SGHC 305 concerning a claim for trademark infringement in respect of the transhipment of counterfeit goods;
- Sun Electric Pte Ltd v Sunseap Group Pte Ltd and others  SGHC 232, a recognized landmark case that challenged the jurisdiction of the High Court to hear and determine patent revocations proceedings;
- National University Hospital (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Cicada Cube Pte Ltd  SGHC 53 in the first case before the High Court of Singapore concerning issues of entitlement to a granted patent;
- Sun Electric Pte Ltd v Sunseap Group Pte Ltd and others  SGHCR 6, a case establishing that the validity of unasserted claims of a patent may not be put in issue by way of a defence, or as part of a counterclaim;
- Ship’s Equipment Centre Bremen GmbH v Fuji Trading (Singapore) Pte Ltd  SGHC 159 involving post-grant amendments of a patent being raised and the applicable test under Singapore law;
- Represented a well-known banking IT solutions provider in arbitration proceedings before the ICC against a prominent Malaysian bank in relation to an IT contractual dispute in the implementation of a core banking system that also raised IP licensing issues; and
- Represented a Singapore government linked company in arbitration proceedings before the SIAC against a US company over disputed ownership of intellectual property rights in defence related research and development.
Jevon has been recognised by IAM Patent 1000 2018 – 2020 and 2022 – 2023 for his IP expertise as a leading individual for patent litigation and patent-related transactions, Asia IP 2021 and 2023 as an IP Expert, Managing IP as an IP Star for Patents since 2020, and Asialaw Leading Lawyers since 2022 as a Notable Practitioner in intellectual property. He has also been recognised by WTR 1000 2022 and 2023 as a leading individual for trademark enforcement and litigation as well as trademark-related transactions. In addition, he has been recognised by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific as a ‘Future Star’ in Singapore for Intellectual property and was awarded “Singapore Practitioner of the Year” at the Managing IP Asia Pacific Awards 2023.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – 2023 recognises Jevon as an up-and-coming individual. In Chambers Asia Pacific 2023, a client commented: “Jevon combines excellent client service with astute commercial awareness.” Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 highlighted that a “pleased source” had reported that “Jevon is always available to answer questions relating to the case, and is happy to collaborate with other parties to ensure that the case is presented in the best way possible.” In Chambers Asia Pacific 2021, a client had commented that he “is an expert in his field, provides sound advice, is strategic in his thinking and is easy to work with. I can highly recommend him.”
Qualifications / Education
- Advocate and Solicitor, Singapore, 2011
- Singapore Patent Attorney, Singapore, 2009
- LLB, National University of Singapore, 2010
- Graduate Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, National University of Singapore, 2006
- B.Eng (Mechanical), National University of Singapore, 2004